About the Job
Job DescriptionJob #: 793059
If you are interested in this position, please email Morgan Reynard at firstname.lastname@example.org. 6 Month Contract
Under general supervision, performs specialized and technical work diagnosing and
repairing personal computer equipment and software for assigned City department.
Work involves ensuring computer equipment and software is running properly, repairing
and troubleshooting, and installing user software on new computers and the network.
Work is performed in accordance with detailed instructions and established routines;
however, the employee is required to be alert to apparent irregularities in the data and
to notify appropriate personnel of such irregularities. Employee must exercise tact and
courtesy in frequent contact with system users, and employ initiative and independent
judgment in completing assigned tasks.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job
functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty
associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required
to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be
reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though
they were actually written out in this job description.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Ensures computer equipment and software is running properly; troubleshoots and
diagnoses problems with personal computer equipment and software; makes
repairs on equipment and software; diagnoses and repairs system and application
• Assembles new computers and components; installs new software on personal
computers and the network.
• Assists clients in installing client computers in a multi-protocol network
environment including TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, APPN, etc.; installs application software
on client computers.
• Installs wiring and cables as necessary.
• Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Associate's degree in computer science or information systems, and 1 to 2 years of
experience in computer system operation; or any equivalent combination of training and
experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Requires a valid
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the operating characteristics, capabilities, limitations, and service
requirements of the electronic computer and all its auxiliary equipment employed
in the current operations environment.
• Knowledge of the operation of an electronic computer and all its peripheral
• Knowledge of the diagnosing and repairing various types of personal computer
equipment and system application software.
• Knowledge of computer programming techniques and multi programming
techniques as they relate to computer operations.
• Knowledge of data processing operations, procedures, and terminology.
• Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of the current literature, trends and developments in the field of
electronic information technology.
• Ability to detect and correct system and program failures.
• Ability to revise production and testing schedules for the achievement of
maximum computer time utilization.
• Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
• Ability to prepare clear and concise instructions, and convey them orally and in
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by
• Ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable, functional, structural, or
compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious
standards) of data, people or things.
• Ability to speak and/or signal people to convey or exchange information. Includes
receiving instructions, assignments and/or directions from supervisors.
• Ability to read a variety of reports and records, purchase orders, computer
manuals, wiring diagrams, etc. Requires the ability to prepare a variety of forms,
etc., using proper format.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in
written, oral, or diagrammatic form; to deal with problems involving several
concrete variables in or from standardized situations.
• Ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, to follow oral and
• Ability to utilize mathematical formulas; to add and subtract totals; to multiply
and divide; and to determine percentages and decimals; and to interpret graphs.
• Ability to inspect items for proper length, width and shape.
PERFORMANCE EVALUATION CRITERIA:
• Quality of Work
• Quantity of Work
• Initiative and Enthusiasm
• Coordination of Work
Must be physically able to operate a variety of computers and their peripheral
equipment, and common office machines such as telephones, etc. Must be able to exert
up to 40 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or
constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves
sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for periods of time.
Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes rapidly and accurately in using
computer equipment. Requires the ability to handle a variety of items, office equipment,
control knobs, switches, etc. Must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
Requires the ability to differentiate between colors and shades of color. Requires the
ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable
to performing under minimal levels of stress when confronted with persons acting under
stress. Requires the ability to talk and/or hear: (talking: expressing or exchanging ideas
by means of spoken words; hearing - perceiving nature of sounds by ear).
• Post ID: 30046782 suffolk